Civil Engineering is the oldest branch of engineering. A Civil engineering professional deals with the designs and constructions of roads, airports, tunnels, bridges, water supply, sewage systems, dams, ports, railroad systems, docks, power supply systems, buildings, and even nuclear power plants, etc. In wider terms, Civil Engineers work as construction engineers, transportation engineers, hydraulic and irrigation engineers, Geo-technical engineers, environmental engineers, and public works engineers. Their work involves a variety of locations and conditions. This branch of engineering takes place in the public sector from municipal to national governments, and in the private sector from individual house owners to international companies.
Some of the best Civil Engineering colleges for B. Tech in Delhi / NCR is
- JNU – Jawaharlal Nehru University
- KIET Group of Institutions, Ghaziabad
- Lingayas University, Faridabad
- Manav Rachna International Institute of Research and Studies, Faridabad
- Inderprastha Engineering College, Ghaziabad
- Ansal University, Gurgaon
- Galgotias Educational Institutions, Greater Noida
For more information, you can visit the website of different colleges.
Now let’s discuss the different career options/ work opportunities after completing B. Tech degree. A Civil engineer can work in any infrastructure project in India, which includes projects of all sizes and levels of construction.
Civil engineers have the opportunity to work in government departments, MNCs, Public Sector Units, and private organizations like Construction Firms, Defense Forces, Development Boards, Municipal Bodies, etc. The average annual wages for civil engineers is approx. $86,640.
Some of the top companies that are suitable for Civil Engineering Graduates:
- Jaypee Group
- Gammon India Ltd.
- Punj Lloyd Group
- Jaiprakash Associates
- GMR Group
- Hindustan Construction Company (HCC)
- Expert Technology
- Hiranandani Construction Pvt. Ltd
- Godrej Properties
- Prestige estates
- Oberoi Realty
- Larsen and Toubro
- Dr. Kelkar Consultants Pvt. Ltd.
- IVRCL Infrastructure & Projects Ltd.
Some of the Public Sector Companies hiring Civil Engineering Graduates:
- NTPC – National Thermal Power Corporation Limited
- BHEL – Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited
- ONGC – Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited
- HAL – Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
- GAIL – Gas Authority of India Limited
- SAIL – Steel Authority of India Limited
- IOCL – Indian Oil Corporation
- BSNL – Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
- ISRO – Indian Space Research Organization
How to Get Hired?
- Making a good resume with a focus on education and skills is important.
- Network with people who work in the same field and getting involved with a project and visiting sites will give you practical knowledge of the profession.
- Seek opportunities for entry-level jobs or internships, which will result in rich experience.
After B. Tech, some other options are also available for a Civil engineer:
- Go for Administrative Examinations– Civil Engineers can appear for IES (Indian Engineering Services), IPS, or IAS exams.
- Plan for Further Studies (M. Tech) – You can go for this option if you are interested in specializing further. The specialization will provide you an edge over others during job interviews. To pursue M. Tech in the best engineering colleges such as IITs. NITs and CFTIs, BITS HD, VITMEEE, TANCET, AP PGECET, TS PGECET, etc. Read more for more information.
- Can opt for MBA – Now it’s time to equip yourself with management knowledge also along with technical, to help further in your career. MBA is the most popular course and largely pursued in India with a lot of scopes. Some leading management colleges in India are IIMs and other leading institutes. Other popular and equally good entrance examinations are XAT (Xavier’s), NMAT, SNAP, CMAT, TISS, IRMA, and more. Read more for more information.