It is extremely important to main good dental health and hygiene habits from an early age. Your teeth actually serve different purposes and all of them are necessary at some point in time or the other. The ability of a person to bite and chew properly is the main reason for having strong and healthy teeth as it makes it easy to digest food properly. Your overall appearance and perfect smile also depend on the shape of your teeth. But they are susceptible to several problems that can lead to teeth loss. Thankfully, these dental problems can be avoided when you follow proper oral habits, as suggested by your dental hygienist in London. Make sure you are aware of the probable risks and how you can stay away from them.
- Bad breath – Also called halitosis, the problem occurs when the breath of a person has a foul smell. There are several things that can be the reason for this problem and these are – improper oral hygiene, dry mouth, small food particles stuck in between your teeth, scented food products, and mouth infections. Bad breath can be solved by brushing teeth properly and removing the accumulation of plaque as well as brushing the tongue by using a brush. When you maintain improved oral hygiene, you can avoid bad breath. It is advised to change your toothbrush every three months and go for routine checkups as well as mouth cleanings. When bad breath occurs due to dry mouth, you can prevent it by drinking water or chewing gums.
- Gum disease – Gums are the tissues within your mouth that can support teeth. In case they get infections due to some toxins made from the plague, it can lead to periodontal or gum disease. You will come across two kinds of gum disease and these are – periodontitis and gingivitis. While gingivitis occurs in a mild form, people will find gums becoming swollen and red and it can cause some bleeding, at times. On the other hand, periodontitis takes place when gingivitis is not treated properly which happens to be the advanced stage for gum disease where plague spreads beyond the gum line. When anyone suffers from gum disease, the bacteria may lead to the destruction of bones and gum deterioration thus, causing tooth loss.You need to practice good brushing and flossing methods to get rid of bacteria and plague. It is advised to brush properly after taking your meals and floss at least once daily to remove unwanted debris. Some people suffer from diabetes and they should talk to a dentist about health problems and risks associated with gum disease. By maintaining your health properly, you can lessen further risks related to periodontal disease. The treatment may start from non-surgical procedures to the ones that require performing surgery. The surgical procedures consist of periodontal pocket reduction and gum graft surgery while non-surgical procedures consist of root planning, scaling, and taking antibiotics to treat any kind of infection.
- Tooth sensitivity – Your sensitive teeth nerves are usually covered with a layer known as the dentin. This dentin can get exposed to various factors that include – gum disease, whitening products, age, receding gums, or too much brushing. When there is exposure to the dentin, you might suffer from some pain or irritation from eating hold, cold, sweet or acidic foods. If you breathe in cold air, this may lead to pain and tooth sensitivity. The pulp of your tooth is formed from the blood vessels and nerves and when dentin becomes exposed, your nerves can get irritated while you eat certain foods.Luckily, tooth sensitivity can be prevented by improved oral hygiene habits. You should use a soft-bristled toothbrush and brush at least two times a day, floss regularly, and lessen taking acidic as well as sugary foods to avoid gum recession and teeth sensitivity. You need to fix an appointment with the dentist and know the exact cause of your teeth problem. Some treatments are – at-home solutions like brushing with desensitizing or high-fluoride toothpaste or rinsing with the fluoride. There are in-office treatments too such as – fillings for your exposed roots, fluoride varnishes, or using sealers or plastic resin.
- Tooth decay – If there is the formation of plaque on your teeth, then it may produce acids that are sticky, adhere to your teeth, and attack tooth enamel. When they are not removed properly, the plaque may damage the enamel causing tooth decay. If it is not treated on time, this may cause small holes within your teeth or cavities. Tooth decay can occur when you do not brush properly or suffer from health problems such as dry mouth, smoking, diabetes or taking sugary food items. An inadequate amount of fluoride may lead to the problem of dental decay.You can prevent the problem of decay by practicing good oral hygiene that includes – brushing twice and flossing daily. While brushing, you should use fluoride toothpaste as it hardens your enamel and resists teeth from further decay. The treatment can be done by improving dental hygiene and rinsing the mouth thoroughly. When tooth decay causes cavities, it requires some kind of treatment based on your severity. Different options include – filling holes, removing the decay, replacing tooth parts through the crown, or eradicating infected pulp with a root canal. If this is your case, then the dentist will ask to remove the tooth completely.
- Toothache – When you suffer from severe pain, it is known as a toothache. Different reasons are there for the toothache and one of the common causes includes – pulp inflammation which is called pulpitis which happens due to mouth cavities and tooth decay. It can also occur due to other issues such as damaged or cracked teeth, gum disease, or eruption of wisdom teeth.You can avoid a toothache by taking the necessary steps to stay away from cavities and decay which consists of brushing and flossing daily as well as taking a well-balanced diet. It is advised that you consult with your dentist to know the root cause of your problem. The toothache might indicate your tooth is dying completely and needs instant action. A toothache that occurs due to fever or swelling might denote some kind of infection that spreads quickly. Your dentist will treat the toothache by taking antibiotics or extracting the damaged tooth for instant relief.
These days, search strings like, “dental hygienist near me” will enable to find a hygienist in your area and get effective tips on improving as well as maintaining oral health condition.